Thursday, December 11, 2014

The Women Who Knew Christ - Relief Society Christmas Evening 2014


This year for our Ladies Relief Society Christmas Social I was lucky to take the lead.

I had come across a lovely Christmas program which is a little different than the normal nativity. I found it HERE
I must amend this post as I was informed by a friend that this program was written 40years ago by a lady named, Judy Chandler. I must say how appreciative I am she did. It not only moved me but many a sister.

Although for our program I changed a couple of the songs.

Instead of the song Joseph's Lullaby I chose, I was not his father by Micheal Maclean.
Instead of the song The Daughter of God, I chose Breath of Heaven by Amy Grant.

I had asked 6 ladies to dress in the style of the women in Christ's time and decorated each table to represent each of the women who knew  Christ.


Elizabeth, mother of John The Baptist
The Mother of Mary
Mother of Joseph, the carpenter
Mary
Wife of an Innkeeper
Wife of a Shepherd





On each table I placed an authentic oil lamp
I purchased them HERE

I made some simple chalk art poster and went through all of my boxes to dig out the appropriate items to decorate the hall. Plus my friend helped to make the 3D snowflakes and me to decorate! Thank you Jessica :) The tree and flat paper snowflakes were left up after the wards Christmas party a few days before.


Click HERE to see how to make the snowflakes


The food we chose was a light meal consisting of figs, dates, pistachios, roasted almonds, roasted red pepper hummus, selection of cheese's, dark green salad with fresh pemergrantaes and olives, grapes, oranges, platter of veggies, pita and flat breads, barley and beef soup and gluten free wild rice and chicken soup. I had a couple of wonderful ladies who shopped for the food and set it up.



The night went well and not many dry eyes as it was a moving program. I recommend this program as it will touch your heart and make you feel why we celebrate this time of year and know that these strong and faithful women, knew Jesus Christ.


Each of us is an Innkeeper who decides if there is room for Jesus.
I printed the main words, then drew the words Innkeeper, Jesus and the picture of Mary and Joseph.



We had an assortment of fresh pomergrantes, mangoes and chocolate as gifts for the ladies to go home with as well as a simple bookmark of Christ and saying we had printed on the program.


Women of Faith
She knows of His interest in her life.
She knows that He knows her.
She loves His words and drinks deeply
Of that living water.


Margaret D. Nadauld







29 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. Do you have any sort of script or what the individual women talked about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used a script. You can find the download here:

    http://www.mormonshare.com/lds-clipart/the-women-who-knew-jesus.

    if you read my post I changed a couple of the songs they suggested.

    I must say it was a spiritually, emotional evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this script not available any more? When I try to download it at the above website, it is blank? Any suggestions?

      Delete
    2. Hi Mary Ann, I tried the link and it worked for me.
      http://www.mormonshare.com/lds-clipart/the-women-who-knew-jesus

      But If you'd like to email me directly (helenferiante@gmail.com) I can give you the downloaded copy that I have saved.

      Delete
  3. Hi Helen, thank you for posting this. I am wanting to use this as a lesson in Relief Society. Do you remember how long the program lasted? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, how time flies but if memory serves me well it lasted about 40-45 mins. What you can do which I did way back then :) was read through it yourself going a little slower and play each song in sequence with the script. That way you'll have a good gauge of how long it should take. I hope this helps :) I will say though how this program has stayed with me. The spirit was very prominent that evening and there was hardly a dry eye. I myself was a bumbling mess of tears :) I'd love to hear how it turns out for you :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you. I am so excited to use this. The first time I read though it I was crying. I tried to hide in the bathroom... my children just couldn't see that I was needing quiet time. The words that were written have a beautiful spirit that if I can feel it while "hiding" from my kids I know there is a power there. Thanks again for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So grateful you shared this. We are doing it the second week in December. Where did you get those pictures of the women?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nicolle,

    I got the pictures from google. LDS picture search for Mary mother of Jesus, and then for the others I did a similar LDS search and tried to find ones that were era appropriate. It's a wonderful program and I'm positive will be a hit :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! Thank you for sharing😀

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome! Thank you for sharing😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the post :) Thank you for leaving a comment

      Delete
  9. Terrific! I can't wait to use this in our ward ... either the Christmas program or I'll save it for our RS Birthday celebration in March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this program is a wonderful one that can be used at anytime to help us remember Christ. Have a lovely time putting this program on in your ward :)

      Delete
  10. I am so in LOVE with all that you have done! And I especially love the music changes that you made. Do you by any chance have a copy of or the link to the song by Michael McLean (I was not his father). I have looked everywhere I can think to find it. Your help would be so appreciated. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bethany,

      I'm glad you LOVE this. I fell in LOVE with it too when I first read it. I have a copy of all the songs I used for this evening. I'd be happy to email you the Playlist via email. I'd just need your email :)

      Delete
    2. Can you email it to me too? this is a fabulous program. My email is krisnkrew@gmail.com Thank You

      Delete
    3. Hi Kris,t :)

      I'm glad you also like this program. Its the bes

      I've just sent you the email with the playlist. Let me know if you manage to import them to your iTunes.

      Delete
    4. I am interested in these songs as well! Would you mind emailing me as well if its not too late? mhart0110@gmail.com. I am so excited about sharing this with everyone in my ward!

      Delete
    5. Hi Merrill,

      Thank you for stopping by my blog page :)
      I emailed you all what I used for this program. I'd love to hear how your's turns out :)

      Delete
    6. I'd love to have the songs emailed to me as well. My email is dittofam@gmail.com

      Delete
    7. I would also like to have the songs emailed to me. My email is opper_22@yahoo.com. Thank you so much

      Delete
    8. I would love the playlist as well of you don't mind.
      jeanniebunderson@gmail.com
      I am excited to use it for my lesson next month. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  11. Is it the songs already pre recorded or the sheet music for others to sing? I have the cd the forgotten carols, but the sheet music is what I can't seem to find.
    Thanks so much.
    haskinsbethany@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you for your emailing of the songs. I've found the song for piano and singer. If anyone needs it, it is in the Forgotten Carols Songbook. My mother-in-law happened to have it & we are using that. THank you again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany, thank you for letting me know (and others) know where we can get the sheet music :) :) I'd love to know how your program turns out.

      Delete
  13. This program was written over 40 years ago by a Sister Judy Hamilton from Chandler, Arizona. It has been used since then and touched the hearts fo thousands of sisters. As is her humble way, Judy does not care about attribution, not does she want any credit. Nonetheless, it would be nice if she was credited when using this material.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for finding that out! I shall update my post to make sure I mention her wonderful program.

    May you have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts