Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Homemade Whipped Shea Butter Lotion





Since, Carys was born, 18mths ago, I had to go back to the drawing board with anything we put on her body- she was super sensitive to even Burt's Bee's Baby Products.


I went on the search for what we could use on her delicate baby soft skin. With having to learn how to read what chemicals and products used in most commercial products, I realized most have so much bad, chemicals, even the 'natural' products too! That left me feeling frustrated, as mothers, we only want the best for our new babies, not all that icky bad gunk! 





I finally found a video on YouTube,  to make your own, Shea butter. It was so easy to do, although whenever, I do something new myself, I always feel some trepidation, as I want it to turn out just right, and who doesn't, right!

So, I set out to make some. I found some Raw Organic Shea Butter online line (yellowish in color, although  I have both now, the Ivory color Shea Butter too) through Amazon, as well as, 'Now Almond oil' and all my Essential oils. Or another good site, HERE. Organic Coconut Oil, from, the Local Health Store, again keep your eye open for deals, this is the best way to buy.  I bought the Shea butter in bulk! It stores well, and you a little goes a long way! 

Let me tell you, Carys' skin (as do all of my family"s) welcomes this wonderful smelling lotion and if she ever had a breakout from something she touched ( her sensitive skin! ) We'd apply some of our lotion and.. Within minutes the rash would clear up.

Or put the lotion into a non breakable container and use as soon as you have showered! As it makes the best moisturizer. I, also, have a pot by the kitchen sink and use it after washing the dishes. I have also played around with the amounts and made it a little thicker and use as lip gloss/moisturizer.

Note: Raw Shea Butter smells nutty.. As it hasn't been refined. It's in its natural form.




Here is what you'll need to make your own all natural, no chemicals added:


Whipped Organic Raw Shea Butter Lotion.

1 cup of Organic Shea Butter (Either yellow or Ivory, I used both today)
1/2 cup Organic Coconut Oil
1/2 cup Almond Oil
Essential Oils of your choice. I used 7 drops each of, Lemongrass, Lemon, Eucalyptus and Peppermint. 

Containers to put your lotion into - I used Half Pint Ball, Mason Jars' from Walmart package of 4.
Glass bowls to hold the ingredients, which can go in the freezer.
Measuring glass jugs, that can be used in the microwave.
Knife, to cut your Shea butter into smaller pieces.
Spoon.
Electric hand whisk

NOTE: I doubled the recipe, which makes just enough to fill the 4 containers.

I used scrap fabric  and twine to decorate the jars.






How to make it:

Cut your Shea butter into smaller pieces, put into one of glass jugs.

Spoon out Coconut Oil, into to the other glass jug.

Pour the Almond oil into the Larger glass bowl (the one that will go into the freezer)









Put both glass jugs with your Coconut oil & Shea butter in the microwave and turn it on. This isn't a set time.. You just have to keep an eye on it till it melts. About 3 mins.







If you use RAW Shea Butter, there are still bits of shell in it, so once it melts, it will rise to the surface- just skim it off. You can see in my pictures what it looks like.

Add them to the bowl, which has the almond oil in.


Whisk and pop it in the freezer to cool. Now, depending on the size of the batch you make will depend on how long this stage takes. Check after 5 mins, take it out, add your Essential Oils Now and whisk, put it back in the freezer.




Check on it again, take it out and whisk.. The key to this lotion being fluffy .. The whisking part!




Keep checking on it every few minutes now. Once it starts to solidify is when you take it out and whisk it.

Put in back in the freezer... this is the last stage... it will only take a minute or two to be of the right consistency.




 Now its fluffy and looks like ice cream once you have whisked it for the last time
Spoon into your jars.

Decorate your jars. Use them yourself or give as gifts.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts